Join a team of caring volunteers and agencies that every month will:
- Identify the homeless living outdoors or in cars throughout Ellis County.
- Assist with the Point in Time (PIT)Count in January.
- Contact homeless living in transitional homes to help fulfill needs not met.
- Assess needs of all homeless to help them find permanent housing.
- Provide transportation for medical visits, employment or showers at gyms and churches.
- Help with laundering or finding clothes, food and other resources.
- Assist in organizing and implementing a car repair program.
Court Watch/Tenant Rights
Join a team of concerned citizen volunteers and attorneys that will:
- Assist attorneys in collecting information at JP courts for those facing eviction.
- Refer collected information to attorneys or set up with mediation service for tenants and landlords.
- Help distribute tenant educational material to apartments and public places.
- Assist defendants with on-line court hearings as needed.
- Transport defendants who need a ride to Eviction court hearings.
- Help defendants with Texas Rent Relief or Eviction Diversion Program applications.
Help those that need to find a home by:
- Reviewing available housing with the clients.
- Contacting landlords and management to find out what they have available and make them aware of any programs.
- Working with landlords and management companies to better understand clients’ circumstances.
Help those without vehicles to:
- Travel to medical visits, interviews, or jobs.
Data Entry/Outbound Calling
Help us gather and input information by:
- Calling area churches, business or individuals to update contact information.
- Checking the internet to update information or find new establishments.
- Entering or updating information in the database.
Volunteer with others to:
- Help plan and execute events throughout the year, including our fall fundraiser and January Let’s Get Warm Giveaway & PIT Count.
- Help with other creative fundraisers throughout the year for other needs such as transitional homes.
- Assist on the day of the event with setup/cleanup, traffic, refreshments, and logistics.
Join the office staff as they serve our friends by:
- Answering the phone and providing office support.
- Interview clients to complete assessments and help with solutions.
- Help with data collection and entry.
Social Media Assistance
Engage our online followers and capture new ones with:
- Stories shared on our social media sites about ECHC.
- Sharing our posts on other Ellis County sites.
- Sharing posts from other organizations on our sites.
- Tweet & text requests during fundraising and awareness campaigns.
Work with the web master to:
- Share stories, update pages or create new ones.
- Develop SEO plan and implement.